Monday 14 July 2008

This is...


Holywell bay
Originally uploaded by kitty.eden
...what gives me goosebumps.
Holywell Bay.
Those two rocks.
That blue sea.
The crashing surf.
I can almost taste the spray.
Seeing somewhere that I know and love so well in amongst someone else's Flickr pix is really weird. I know that Sara (whose picture it is that I've pinched) is a Cornwall addict so I shouldn't really be surprised, but Holywell Bay is one of those places that I never expect anyone else to know about. When we were kids nobody had ever heard of it. I suppose pre-M5 Cornwall was a lot more inaccessible so not as many people went.
I've been going there since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. We had a few years break - trying other parts of Cornwall and foreign holidays, but when kiddie arrived we went back and have done pretty frequently since. Not going to Cornwall feels like I've not been on holiday - even if we've actually been somewhere hot and exotic.
And now I shall return.
Last year was a "no-Cornwall" year so I'm itching for August to arrive. Seeing Sara's (kitty.eden) photo truly did give me goosepimples so I just had to 'borrow' her photo for my contribution to this week's 'This is...'.
Thanks Sara xx.

12 comments:

JuicyFig said...

Love the hair dooo and congrats with SW - I have given up and am eating like a PIG!!!

I have only been to cornwall ONCE! It looks and sounds wonderful

Kath
x

Funkymonkey said...

Yep! I'm waiting for August and Cornwall too.

saraeden said...

No i dont mind at all , im glad you like it !! I still have a few photos to put on yet in fact im off now to go find them !!

silverpebble said...

Oooh, goosebumpy at this end too. Only been to Cornwall twice but it was just magical. One of the hols was staying in a little tongue and groove hut in a gorge on the Lizard. Top memories.

Country Bliss said...

Hi, I hope the weather is as good for you in August, as it is in that photo, as at the moment it is rain, rain and more rain. The sun did try to shine on Saturday though!
Yvonne

walter and me said...

Hello, thank you so much for that very generous comment you left over at my blog. Much appreciated! I can see some Cornwall love here....it's been a bit grey today. Still waiting for summer to really arrive. Hey ho!

JuicyFig said...

woohoo! a bit of seth lakeman!!
and a scan bran memory...ahhh...don't forget - food colouring is syn free...(I hope you make the syn free topping for your cake? - let me know if you want the recipe!)

Kath
x

Kitty said...

Hi. I just hopped over here from the link at Katy's (I'm a Ginger Monkey) place. You have a lovely blog - I've really enjoyed reading.

Take care :-) x

Jackie said...

Cornwall is my other love..more particularly the Isles of Scilly..St Martins. The beaches in Greece are nowhere near as beautiful as St Martins but the water is warm the food is fab and there's a lot more accommodation. And its actually cheaper to get 2 weeks in Greece than Scilly.
Anyway I'm in agreement with you about Cornish beaches they give me goosebumps too.
Have you ever been to Lleyn Peninsula in Wales? Lovely beaches there too.
My little Seascapes are stitched to thick 'cotton duck' also called artists canvas, and stretched over wooden frames, and stapled to the back. Sometimes I use those cheap artists canvases ready stretched but I always put my own fabric over because they are too white.

liz said...

THis is for your other post really. Congrats on losing 1/2 stone! I joined weightwatchers (spurred on by your success), last week, and I KNOW how hard this is. Love the haircut too.

Anonymous said...

Hello there! I just noticed your photo when blog browsing and did a double take. I knew it looked familiar! We were in Cornwall at the end of June and go there every year. We stayed in Perranporth in Tregundy House, the original farmhouse and we always go to Holywell Bay for the day.

I love Cornwall, it's just amazing. The independant shops in St. Ives have such lovely stuff! I want to go back! I hope August is magical for you!

Nessie's Nonsense said...

My friend Lilian has been going there every October for about forty years and she's in her eighties now. We have just booked to go about a mile or two along the coast from there in October half-term. You're right, its really beautiful down there - I can't wait to go!! Like the music by the way!!